How to install & configure Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress 4.7: Hello readers, through this article, I am going to explain briefly about Yoast SEO Plugin, its installation and configuration process. I believe that Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress is the most convenient tool that has complete SEO solutions. Actually, Yoast SEO Plugin contains several advanced features and many advanced options that optimize your WordPress website easily as compared to other SEO plugins. Millions of people in the word using Yoast SEO Plugin and they believe that it the best SEO solution provider plugin. So, if you want to install and configure Yoast SEO Plugin for your WordPress website then, through this article you can check step wise details and it will explain you all the things about the Yoast SEO Plugin. You should also note that it has many advanced features such as the Meta Robots plugin, the RSS Footer plugin with many other features and options. Simply, I want to say that it has many features and options and hence setting up or configuration process of the Yoast SEO plugin in WordPress is little difficult but don’t worry, It will become easy once you go through below provided information about ‘How to install & configure Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress’.
Features of Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress
- For every post ‘Post title’ and meta description meta box available.
- Taxonomy: Tag, category and custom taxonomy; Title and meta description support options.
- Verify sites in many search engines.
- Meta settings for author pages, homepage etc.
- Social support open graph (Facebook, twitter etc).
- Search engines result snippet previews.
- Sitemap generation for your website content.
- Meta Robots configuration (add noodp, noydir meta tags, noindex, nofollow pages, taxonomies, entire archives etc..
- Canonical support.
- RSS footer and header configuration available.
- Permalink clean ups options for clean permalinks creation.
- Breadcrumbs support.
- XML Sitemaps (Images, Configurable removal-post types and taxonomies, post/category.
- .htaccess and robots.txt editor features.
- Google Webmaster/ Yahoo Site Explorer/ Bing Webmaster verification tools.
- Settings import and export functionality available in SEO system.
- The premium version comes with even more powerful features.
How to install & configure Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress 4.7
- First, install ‘Yoast SEO Plugin’ directly from your wp-admin search area or with the downloaded file.
- Then, set up ‘Yoast SEO Plugin’.
(To get explained details about these two things go with below information).
How to install ‘Yoast SEO Plugin’ in WordPress
- First of all, log in to your WordPress website that opens your ‘Dashboard’.
- On the left-hand side, go to the ‘Plugins’ category and click on “Add New” option.
- Now, you can type ‘yoast SEO’ in the search box and press enter button.
- You will see many plugins there, so check ‘Yoast SEO’ plugin and click on that.
- Then click the ‘Install Now’ button to start installing the plugin.
- You should click on ‘OK’ button on the popup you will have to click the ‘Activate Plugin’ link and it will complete your installation process.
- Now, you can check that SEO option is available at the bottom of the menu on the left-hand side of the dashboard.
Steps to configure Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress
After the installation process, you need to configure Yoast SEO and for that follow the below steps: – On the Dashboard of the website click on SEO option first. From here, you will need to go through many settings options. You should have to complete these settings:
Yoast SEO: General Settings
Step 1: General Tab: – Click on General tab, from here you can start tour of Introduction, and check Latest change and you can also reset your plugin by this page.
Step 2: Info Tab: – Then, open Your Info tab, Provide information regarding your site such as – Website name, Alternative name and select the Company or person behind it. If you choose a company you need to provide company name and need to upload the logo of the company.
Step 3: Webmaster Tools: – Webmaster tool is to verify your site from and see those exclusive data, you have to add a meta tag to your site, or upload a file. Login to Webmaster tools site via Google account copy meta tag and paste it on the Google webmaster Tools box to verify.
Step 4: Security: – Security tab, is the second last tab of General setting. Here you need to checked or unchecked “Disable the Advance part of the WordPress SEO meta box” WE highly recommend that you should leave it checked.
Titles & Metas – Yoast SEO
Step 1: General:
WordPress can auto- detects title either you re-write little or you don’t. So, leave the box unchecked. Here you can select the Title separator for your post title or site title and click on “Save Changes” button.
Step 2: Homepage:
Through this option, you can provide ‘Title Template’ and “Meta Description Template” details.
- ‘Title Template’: – You can type the home title of your website that you want to appear in the search engine.
- “Meta Description Template”: – you can describe your website in a short way.
Step 3: Post Types:
You will see that WordPress comes with being default post types. So, you can set your own post types and meta for your posts, media, pages and other custom post types. To get more benefits, you are advised to manually type title and descriptions for each post.
Step 4: Taxonomies:
In “Taxonomies” area you will see several options such as Categories, tags and post format. With this option, you can configure your titles and the meta description for archives. You should also note that if you add meta description then SEO will pick your description otherwise it will not display your description.
Step 5: Archives:
In the ‘Archives’ category you can see title and meta settings for author archives, date archives. Duplicate content prevention and special pages (Search Pages and 404 pages) are also available and you check disable author archives for your single author blogs as the main blog and the author archives contain the same content. So, the available setting is to prevent duplicate content.
Step 6: Other:
In this category, there are some other additional settings are available (Sitewide meta settings).
Social – Yoast SEO
Through ‘Social-Yoast SEO’ category, you can connect your website with Facebook, Google+, Twitter etc. social platforms. So, if you want to integrate your website with these social platforms then simply click on the “Social” link category available under the SEO menu and then ‘Social-Yoast SEO’ page will open.
Step 1: Accounts:
The first tab (Accounts) belongs to your social accounts and if you want to integrate your website with social platforms then you will have to provide your social profile URLs and Twitter username and click on save changes button.
Step 2: Facebook:
- When you click on the tab “Facebook” under Social-Yoast SEO then, first of all, you will have to tick in the box written as “add open graph meta data”. This feature will help the Facebook to take the exact page information when your website post is shared on Facebook.
- Then, you can provide the required details to connect your facebook profile with your website.
- Through “Facebook Insights and Admins” you can add facebook admin that allow you to access facebook insight. You can also provide Facebook App ID and finally click on Save Changes button.
Step 3: Twitter:
Check the box with ‘Add Twitter card meta data’ to your site’s <head> section and you can also have the option to chose the card type using summary or Summary with a large image. Click on “Save Changes” button for save the changes.
Steps 4: Pinterest:
In the ‘Pinterest’ category you can add the meta tags to verify your website with Pinterest. It acts like Facebook so, you can enter the site verification code in the box provided by Pinterest and for that, you will need to visit your Pinterest account settings to get a meta tag that you have to enter in the box and then click on “Save Changes” button.
Step 5: Google+:
Under “Google+” tab you can check the box to ‘Add Google+ specific post meta data’. Now, if you are using Google+ account for your business then you can provide your Google+ Publisher page URL to link the page.
XML Sitemaps – Yoast SEO
Sitemaps are very important in your WordPress site. With the help of sitemap, you can check your complete index (your website pages and posts) and connect your content with search engines. Through Sitemaps, you can optimize your content for search engines.
Note: First of all tick in the box that shows “Check this box to enable XML sitemap functionality”.
Step 1: General:
Here you can check your XML sitemap details by clicking “XML Sitemap”. Now, you will see “Entries per page”, here you can enter your required entries for per sitemap. By default, you will see 1000 but you are advised to set it to max to 300 0r 400. Then click on “Save Changes” button to save the changes that you have made.
Step 2: User Sitemap:
Then open ‘User Sitemap’ tab and check the box of “Disable author/user sitemap” and click on “Save Changes” button to save the changes that you have made.
Step 3: Post Types:
Now, open “Post Types” tab and check the box that you do not require in your sitemap. You should also know that by default it comes with ‘Media Attachments’. So, you can tick the box as per your requirement to disable that and then click on “Save Changes” button.
Step 4: Posts to exclude:
If you want to exclude any post or posts from your sitemap then simply enter the post IDs with commas (1, 4, 86, 96 etc) in the box of “Posts to exclude” and click on ‘Save Changes’ button.
Step 5: Taxonomies:
Click on “Taxonomies” tab and check the box that you want to disable in your sitemaps.
Advanced – Yoast SEO
With advance-Yoast SEO page, you can set and configure breadcrumbs, permalinks and RSS.
Step 1: Breadcrumbs:
Breadcrumbs use for internal linking and it can appear in search results also depending upon Google that has the extra advantage for your website in the search engine. So, you will need to check the box ‘Enable Breadcrumbs’ and you will see other settings. Enter your separator symbol if you want to change default settings, check other things and click on save changes button.
Step 2: Permalinks:
In ‘Permalinks’ you will see several options (Change URLs, Clean up Permalinks and clean up the <head>). You should understand that Yoast SEO setting is differing from Setting Tab of SEO. So, it depends on you that you want to change URLs or not but you can check the box of “Remove stop words from slugs” and it will help you to create a clean URL. Check other options also and if you did not need that then simply leave the box blank. You can also check the boxes under “Clean up the <head>” as per your requirement and then simply click on save changes button.
Step 3: RSS:
This option is helpful to feed your content by creating backlinks and with this Google can get your original content source and it can be helpful to add the advertisement to your RRS.
Tools – Yoast SEO
With Tool-Yoast SEO option you can backup your all setting. By using Bulk Editor you edit or change your post title and description. Same as File editor option is also available and you can also export and import settings. I suggest you that do not use these tools without complete knowledge.
Search Console – Yoast SEO
With the help of ‘Search Console-Yoast SEO’ settings you can allow your WordPress website to connect with Google Search Console tools. So, to fetch your Yoast SEO with Google console enters your Google Authorization code in the box and click on “Authenticate” button.
- To get Google Authorization code click on “Get Google Authorization code” link.
- Then, your Google account page will open. You will need to click on allow the button to get the Google Authorization code.
- Copy that code and paste in the given box and then click on “Authenticate” button.
- After verification, you will need to update your profile and for that, you will need to select your website and click on “Save Profile” button. You can also Re-authenticate with Google if you required.
- Yoast SEO fetches with Search Console data and now you can be able to check your Desktop, smartphones, Feature Phone and settings tabs on the screen. Here you can see all kinds of crawl errors related to your website.
- You can fix these crawl errors by “create redirect” edit option and mark then as fixed after ‘Setting up Redirects’.
- By settings option, you can re-authenticate it again also.
Yoast SEO Extensions
Under “Yoast SEO Extensions” you will see Yoast SEO Premium plugin. Most of the people in the world use the free version of Yoast SEO plugin which is a basic SEO plugin. You can also go with Premium version which has more powerful features.
Redirects: It adds more powerful features under “Redirects-Yoast SEO” that’s help you to quickly fix 404 errors and to set redirects for your website.
Customizing and Maximizing the Benefit: To get m ore benefits you will have to customize the available settings on the basis of the individual post with “WordPress SEO for Individual Posts and Pages” settings and WordPress SEO for Archives (Category / Author /Tag).
Note: This tutorial is dedicated to “How to install & configure Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress 4.7” and I hope that you like above information. So, if you like this tutorial then, you can bookmark this page and visit us again to get latest updates about ‘Yoast SEO Plugin in WordPress’.